Pages

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

I Didn't Die!

The sound was enormous. I thought it was thunder but the sky was clear. Maybe an earthquake or tornado? I rounded the corner on my walk towards the stadium. The sound grew louder. As I approached the stadium the sound became deafening. The moment of truth had come.

I walked into the stadium. There had to be at least 100,000 people. Not that I was counting. The sun was bright and the sky blue. The crowd quieted when they saw me. I could hear nothing but the fluttering of the Olympic flag. Then the crowd broke out in loud cheers.

I waved and smiled at all the fans around me. I walked quickly to my place on the starting line. I was running the race of my life with 9 others. They looked puny and weak. Not like me, sculpted and sleek. I knew what they were quickly realizing. The didn’t have a chance against me. I was going to leave them in the dust…

Or so the fantasy goes. I did my run for today. Here’s the real numbers. I warmed up for 5 minutes, walking .12 mile. I was thinking this is going to be a breeze if I went this far in the warm up. I ran/jogged/danced for 20 minutes for a distance of .87 mile!!! I had to mix up the arm work to keep interested. My max speed was 4 mph (so I can outrun a bear going 3 mph). I finished with a cool down for 5 minutes with an ending distance of 1.15 miles. I burned 115 calories.

If you play with the numbers you’ll figure out at that pace I would go a distance of 2.3 miles per hour. It will take me approximately 13 hours to finish a full marathon. That’s very inspiring.

Things I learned today: I didn’t die. It was easier than I thought it would be. I’m a really slow runner right now, but I did finish my target workout time. I ran much further than I thought I would. I could have run longer but didn’t want to push my luck. I do better listening to the news instead of music.

Next anticipated run will be Thursday. Look out Mile! You’re not as big as you used to be. Now I’m off to lift rocks for the garden…the fun never ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment