Pages

Saturday, October 24, 2009

Tomorrow's the day...

My dad is coming here tomorrow. Let that sink in for a minute. He is on his way here as I speak. This is a big deal.


I think the last time I saw my dad was about 15 years ago, give or take a few years. We are a strange family. Even Jace doesn't understand it. I will try to explain it, and you reader will still not understand it. But here goes...


Growing up around my dad was...o.k. He wasn't the warm fuzzy dad that Jace is for Rowan. He wasn't an abusive dad either. He just...was. He worked, came home and watched football or hid behind a newspaper. He had a quick temper so it was just easier to ask mom for whatever.


The whole family got together a few times a year and it was...swell. Very picturesque 1950s. Kids played and grown ups never said anything controversial or offensive. There was no throwing beer cans, cussing, punches thrown. Like I said...swell.


When I was 13 my mother died and all this "swell" died with her. She was the glue that kept the family together. She had organized all these visits. After she died there was never another family get together with all the family.


So with my dad there was never any closeness as one might think of for father and daughter. And definitely no heart to heart talks. But now he is moving here. And he needed a place to stay for a week while his place is getting ready. So of course I said, "sure Pa, come on down, no problem."


Another weird thing is that I have kept in touch with him...by letters. We have probably talked once per year on the phone. Why talk when you can write. And we don't say anything controversial in the letters either. Why would you ever want to actually visit someone when you can just write a letter? Keep it short and to the point and don't waste gas.


Why don't you just email? Funny you should ask that. My dad is against all forms of technology. Sort of. He's against learning new forms of technology. He wouldn't even consider using a fax machine, let alone computer. We've approached the subject of a cell phone very carefully. Frankly, I don't think he'll touch it unless it has a cord connected to it.


If you haven't guessed by now and you can do some decent math, you will have discovered that my dad hasn't actually ever met Jace or Rowan in person. Let that sink in. They haven't even spoken to each other on the once per year phone call. And now he'll be here tomorrow...living with us for a whole week. A.N.X.I.E.T.Y.


One of the positives I can find in all this is that...my dad does not like technology. This means I can blog about him and he'll never read it. I can write about all his quirks and how he might think automatic doors have evil spirits in them. Or how great it was to finally meet his granddaughter until she hounded him to death to buy her a present.


So reader, if I'm a little cranky or look otherwise "shifty" in character, this is why. And hopefully I'll have some funny blog material in the future.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Julie, thanks for following my blog! You have quite a nice blog yourself! Anyway I can relate to not seeing family for *years.* I've seen 2 of my older siblings once in my entire life. Nothing dramatic here either -- they're across the Atlantic. I've gone years without speaking to them too. Keep posting! :)

    ReplyDelete