Pages

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Num Yummy!! And other things

I'll get to the yummy stuff in a minute. At our house we have started to get on the band wagon of being green, although we are using a cane and walker to get on the band wagon. Even if our progress is slow it is still progress. I listened to a story the other day on the radio about San Francisco's Green Composting. It's a brave idea and ultimately where we're headed folks. I'm hoping if I start now then it won't be a big deal down the road. I also received an email with this link to Path To Freedom. It's about urban homesteading in Pasadena, California. Californians are always trying these weirdo ideas. But if you have your ears open, then you have heard about the world food supply crisis. Right? Google will give you articles starting in 2007/2008. Moving on because I'm not an investigative journalist. The pic with the 2 bins is where I have started placing food scraps that are either "livestock" (cats, dog) or "compost" (organic). The contents of the "livestock" bin is given to a couple of very grateful and now roly poly animals. The contents of the "compost" bin is emptied into a spot now called "Ye Olde Compost Pile."

This pic is one of today's latest tiptoeing steps to being less wasteful. I bought a reusable 5 gallon water bottle and learned that 5 gallons of water costs $1.75. Is this a good deal? I think so. We can't even see through our tap water here. The water reports all say it's safe to drink...uh huh. No thanks. My other green project started today is CFL lightbulbs. I should say restarting. I tried CFL bulbs before but the light color was all wrong and I couldn't stand them. I will say they have definitely improved and there is no difference in light color from the old style bulbs.

Now on to the fun stuff. A few posts ago I talked about doing some fall things. So here's Jace and Rowan making caramel apples.

She is a surprisingly good cook. Very meticulous and that apple was absolutely perfect.

This is my favorite pic of the event because she is also 4.

This is a pic of a present that a very sweet friend gave me to give to Rowan. Rowan loved it so much that she even snuck it to school one day. I think she also wore them in the bathtub once. You know if you can't wear pearls in the tub then you might as well not even have them.

This is tonight's long-awaited-well-worth-it-been-in-the-family-for-years Pumpkin Pie.

We love this pie. When I make it, it becomes breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Yes, it's that good. I would say the big secret is that it's less sweet than any store bought or restaurant pie. I'm posting the recipe because I'm absolutely certain you'll love it. This is my Granny's recipe. She came from a big family and was in charge of desserts.
2 eggs
1 lb. can pumpkin
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk

Mix all together and pour in 2, 9 in. unbaked pie crusts. Bake at 425 for 15 minutes then 350 for 45 minutes.

Num Yummy!

And like this pic, I am at the end and there is no more...Until the next post.































No comments:

Post a Comment