Pages

Thursday, January 6, 2011

No Impact...Day 5

OMG!  This thing is lasting forever. 
Today's challenge was Energy.  I didn't drive anywhere so this specifically meant No Electricity...for me.  Since the 2 wimps non players can't play like a big girl I have to leave some electricity on.  Specifically I left the clocks plugged in and the fridge on. 

I did use some electricity for work, which is allowed.  I just couldn't rationalize doing some things and calling them work related.  I'm also doing this post because I don't have solar power to hook up my computer to.  Otherwise, unless it's business or related to this challenge I cut myself off from all other websites till Monday.  Just shoot me now.  I do get to check Facebook since that's where I'm receiving some instructions on this experiment and I have a business page and I'm really trying to rationalize it. 

Jace is starting to take a little bit of pleasure in all my imposed suffering.  Take today.  He made coffee with the coffee pot, and he shared.  Very nice of him.  Afterwards he said, "you can turn off the coffee, I know the electricity is burning you." snicker snicker snicker.

Tonight, he knows I can't watch a movie or turn on a light unless he does it for himself and I can share since I'm in the house.  He has figured out that he gets to choose what movie will be on.  So unless I want to sit in almost dark then I will be watching Blazing Saddles...again...for the 254th time.  The reason I say almost dark is because I have some oil lamps that will be used for reading and navigating in the dark. 

The only anxious things that have happened today are getting this post in because I want to really give the no electricity thing a try tonight.  It's been a very relaxing day not having anything distracting me.  The other thing was getting dinner ready before the sun sets.  This meant I had to start cooking by 4 pm.  It's now almost 5 and I am just waiting for the turnip casserole stuffing cheesy thing I made to finish cooking.  We're also having the pan sausage and a salad of greens all from the farmer's market. 

Tonight I will truly be going over to the dark side... Tomorrow's challenge:  Water...I think

2 comments:

  1. Turnip Casserole! Can you share the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelly- The story behind the turnip casserole is that I looked at several recipes to get an idea of how to cook it. That was without searching the internet. It's basically the same as cooking a potato, rutabaga, kohlrabi, etc. I cut mine into bite size cubes and cooked with water in an electric skillet for about 20 minutes. I added bread crumbs, mushrooms, garlic, salt, pepper, and cream cheese. Cooked it until it was like stuffing. Things you can change: add whatever spices you like, use different cheese, bake in the oven at 350 for 30 minutes. I was trying to save energy by not using the oven and stove.

    ReplyDelete