Pages

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Craft Riot Part 2 and The Plague

Alright, after an unplanned illness by Rowan, which includes reams of toilet paper, a running faucet for a nose, non stop cough, and needing to pee every 5 seconds, I'm back.  I had the Mother Guilt where I thought if she didn't stop the coughing I was going to put her outside with the dog, but then thought they'd make a movie on the Lifetime channel about a woman who would do that, played either by Valerie Bertinelli or Shannon Dougherty, and was now on the run from the sheriff...Instead, Rowan was taken to the doctor and got to pee in a cup.  She also stole the entire Advil coupon display.  Her dad is taking it back today.


 Above is the one pic I did a terrible job at researching.  I forgot to find out who it is and the name of her shop.  I highly regret this and if anyone can comment and let me know I would be very thankful.  I can tell you this is the one booth I bought something from.  She makes all kinds of jewelry from scrabble tiles.

 I couldn't resist this ring.  I think this is why I forgot all the pertinent information necessary for this post.
*EDIT* I have been saved a crafter's death.  The booth above belongs to AmeliaBeth.  Thanks to Craftiness' wife for being so knowledgeable of the Austin craft scene.


Now this booth was fascinating to me.  This is Reigruche Studio.  The artist is Alejandra Grunauer.  She makes jewelry by crocheting metal...Shut it!  Is that even possible?  Wonderfully delicate, intricate looking pieces.

" I love painting and making jewelry for myself and for other people. After getting my BFA in Studio Art- Painting (as well as continuing to learn new things on my own/other artists), I thought I'd spread the love around some more...Colors, textures, and patterns evoke feelings, memories, and moods. Upcycling, reconfiguring, and recontextualizing is fabulous. There's nothing like combining all sorts of art disciplines and crafts in order to create interesting frameable/wearable art."



My last picture is of Bailey Tucker.  This experience is all her fault.  Not really, she was my contact person for volunteering.  Her booth was Lovely Lotus Designs.  She makes really cool fabric flowers.

"I am a Seamstress and Fiber Artist from Austin, Texas. I love being able to make what I imagine. I have been an avid crafter all my life. My grandmother taught me how to sew, weave and spin wool when I was a child. I was taught by her that I could make anything, and boy did we...Since then I have taken a variety of Art History and Studio Classes ranging from Sculpture, Painting, Ceramics, Drawing and Photography. It brings me so much joy to be able to do what I love and have others love what i do!...I have been sewing seriously for about 9 years and over the last few years I have been dyeing and embellishing my own fabric. I love exploring with colors and textures. I am inspired by working in my organic garden beds, the forest, music and all my crafty friends here in Austin."

Some other things I liked were from Swish Productions, Funky Finds, Devil Girl Design, and the Fold.

If you want to see what my shop is up to come visit Natural Julie.  It's a small collection of things I sell at the farmer's market.  I'm adding more items when the plague is fully gone from the house.

2 comments:

  1. There's nothing like sick kids, eh? Thank god. Haven't had a bout like that yet, but a couple bloodyings, since she's learning to climb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is where all the jaded experienced parents laugh, Will. That little illness was NOTHING compared to past ills. You just wait, your turn is coming.

    ReplyDelete