Pages

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Avocado Ice Cream


In case you've become weary of the old standby flavors of ice cream, I thought I would share a recipe I found for Avocado Ice Cream.  You can get this recipe and other ice cream recipes from the June-July issue of MaryJanes Farm.

MaryJane's Avocado Ice Cream
Prep Time: 15 minutes       Makes: 3 cups

1 large avocado, peeled and diced
1 cup half-and-half
2/3 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp lemon zest
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice

1.  Combine avocado, half-and-half, sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice in a blender.  Puree until completely smooth.
2.  Pour mixture into a 2-quart baking dish.
3.  Cover and freeze until firm, about 4 hours.  (Can be transferred to an air-tight container and kept in a freezer for up to one month.)
4.  Before serving, let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.  Use an ice-cream or watermelon scoop to serve.  Top with fresh fruit or mango salsa.

This tastes mostly like lemon sherbet.   And if you're wondering about pairing it with watermelon like the picture, DO IT.  It tastes amazing! 

3 comments:

  1. Avocado?!? I don't know... that's just a bit too far off for me, I think...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Avocados are very nutritious. I'd be up for trying this. After reading this Mom's Guide (http://www.1dental.com/moms-guide/), I started taking better inventory of what I feed my son - mostly sugar & processed foods. Looking for more homemade recipes like this. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do this, but due to dairy issues at our house,i use coconut milk instead of cream. So, so good! I have watermelon right now, I will have to try them together!

    ReplyDelete